It’s more crucial than ever that the public sector fleet stays on the road this winter. Here's how to keep your fleet keep moving, whatever the weather.
With a challenging winter fast approaching, it’s essential that those with a responsibility for managing the public sector fleet take the time to ensure they are properly prepared for the months ahead.
Whether you’re a blue light organisation charged with keeping us safe, a charity taking care of the most vulnerable, or a council delivering essential public services – to function effectively, your fleet must stay on the road all winter, in all conditions.
Where to begin?
Firstly, we recommend you focus on some quick and easy wins. Making sure you follow these 6 principles can, for minimal effort, help keep your drivers safe, your organisation protected and your fleet on the road, delivering those vital services day after day.
- carry out more regular maintenance checks – checking the basics such as tyre pressure, tread depth and wiper blades. This is also the time to check oil changes and if any repairs are needed
- check your battery – as the temperature drops, so does a car’s battery power so check your fleet’s batteries before the colder weather hits
- provide your drivers with emergency packs – containing items like torches, high visibility jackets and de-icer
- clear snow and ice – before driving anywhere in snowy conditions, clear snow and ice from the vehicle’s windows, lights, hood and roof and make sure that all lights are visible
- remind your drivers of best practices – such as favouring main roads and keeping a quarter of a tank of fuel in case of emergency or delay.
- ensure you have the right insurance cover – accidents can be commonplace in winter, so make sure your people and your assets are protected.
Our most popular winter solutions
Following the above principles can certainly help your fleet perform robustly this winter, but we understand that sometimes, you need a little extra help. At CCS, our suite of Total Fleet Solutions are here to help power to your fleet come rain, shine or snow.
Here are our most popular winter solutions that keep fleets up and down the country on the road, delivering vital services, every winter.
- Supply & Fit of Tyres and Ancillary Services (RM3767)
A wide range of tyres can be procured through this agreement, including winter tyres, cross climate and all-season tyres.
Also under this agreement, fleet checks can be carried out to ensure that your tyres are maintained to your organisation’s desired tread depth (the legal limit for tread depth is 1.6mm).
If you need extra support, our expert team is here to guide you, while our suppliers are available to discuss your requirements, ensuring you have the right tyres for your fleet.
Learn more about this agreement
- Vehicle Purchase (RM6060) and Vehicle Conversions (RM3814)
Both of these agreements enable buyers to obtain turnkey solutions for all of their specialist winter vehicles.
Base vehicles can be purchased via the Vehicle Purchase agreement and converted into specialist vehicles such as gritter lorries and snow ploughs by the converters on our Vehicle Conversion Dynamic Purchasing Agreement.
In addition, the Vehicle Purchase agreement can be used for the supply of after-sales servicing and maintenance packages, including the supply of vehicle parts and spares.
Learn more about Vehicle Purchase
Learn more about Vehicle Conversions
- Vehicle Telematics (RM6143)
While it’s common knowledge that vehicle maintenance is key to keeping your fleet on the road, especially during the winter months, the part telematics can play in that is only now gaining prominence.
Telematics can allow you to capture and analyse vehicle data – such as usage, fuel consumption and driver behaviour – meaning you can make evidence-based decisions that keep your fleet performing efficiently and cost-effectively.
Learn more about this agreement
We understand how important it is to keep your fleet on the road this winter. Our suite of Total Fleet Solutions are here to help you to do just that. From insurance to telematics, vehicle purchase to vehicle conversions, we’ve got you covered.
- visit our new Total Fleet Solutions web page
- learn about how we can help you manage your fleet
- contact our team of fleet experts