Food and Drink
The public sector can buy a range of food and drink products
This is the first time we have offered a commercial agreement which allows you to buy food directly from suppliers, and it represents an opportunity to support wider government policy.
We are working with Defra to include the Government Buying Standards for Food, in government led food agreements. This includes:
- production standards
- animal welfare
- environmental impacts
- variety and seasonality
- nutritional value
- resource efficiency
This new approach will replace the three stage procurement process that we had initially planned. This means that the following agreements are now cancelled:
- RM6227 Technology and Management Agent: Food Supply and Delivery Platform
- RM6228 Logistics Processors with associated Consolidation Hub functionality
- RM6131 Food (DPS)
We have not set out a procurement strategy at this stage. We will decide on the final structure of the procurement solution following market engagement, and we will confirm this in the Contract Notice.
Social value will play a key part in the combined food supply and delivery solution. The solution will:
- support COVID-19 recovery
- tackle economic inequality
- fight climate change
- provide equal opportunity, wellbeing and community cohesion (developing strong and positive relationships within the community)
The food solution will help public sector bodies to buy food in a sustainable way and will help local and small businesses to compete for public sector contracts.
We expect this agreement to run for 4 years with the option to extend for a further 2. This is still to be finally determined.
- helps all suppliers (including SMEs) access public sector food opportunities
- supports sustainable food production
- buyers can access local and seasonal products from a variety of SME food and drink suppliers, who meet the government Buying Standards for Food
- supports investment in local communities as well as:
- equality and diversity
- reduction in Modern Slavery risks
- resource efficiency
- environmental sustainability
- helps public sector buyers to meet carbon net zero targets by consolidating (combining) deliveries
As part of our customer engagement, we have issued the following food newsletters for all external stakeholders.
You can also complete our customer survey
We may hold further engagement sessions before tender release. We will provide updates for these possible sessions on this webpage and in the newsletter.
If you would like to register to receive future editions of the newsletter, email the team
We have issued a Prior Information Notice (PIN) to the market. You can find the link to the PIN in the important links section below.
We recently hosted an introduction to the food and drink commercial agreement webinar. You can watch the webinar on YouTube.
We may hold further engagement sessions before tender release. We will provide updates for these possible sessions on this webpage.
|Prior Information Notice (PIN)||Read PIN|
|Contract notice in OJEU||Not available yet|
|Tender documents||Not available yet|
|Drafting of procurement documents||2022|
|Publication of OJEU notice||Spring 2022|
|Agreement award||Autumn 2022|